Advertising Checklist for Social Media Marketing
The good news about social media marketing is that advertising provides a fantastic opportunity to spread your message to a much wider audience. The bad news is that it’s very easy to waste a lot of money if you don’t carefully set up and plan your campaigns.
Below is our advertising checklist infographic to remind you of the process you should have in mind when setting up a campaign. Scroll down for more detailed notes to help guide you through the advertising process and to create campaigns which are as effective as possible.
- Set your campaign budget. You might want to set an overall budget and, if your campaign is quite sizeable, break the budget down into smaller parts to be spent on different threads of the campaign.
- Decide on your Objective. Is it to build a following, raise awareness by promoting content, drive traffic to the website, get video views, get new leads? Your objective will steer the way your campaign is set up so it needs to be clearly defined.
- Choose a relevant audience to target. Does your product or service appeal to a particular age group or demographic? Do you want to target people with particular interests or in certain parts of the country (or world)? Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter are designed to allow you to create audience targeting, so make sure you take advantage of this facility.
- Create inspiring content. This might sound obvious, but if your message isn’t clearly thought out your campaign could underperform significantly. We’d recommend always using images in your content since content with images gets a much higher engagement rate. Decide on your key selling point and think how to translate this into a message which will really connect with your target audience.
- Create a call to action. You need to direct your audience into taking the action that your want them to take. This could take the form of written or visual content within your advert or by using a pro forma call to action button from within the Ads Manager of the social media platform you’re using. Make sure your call to action is guided by your campaign objective.
- Analyse results. There’s a lot you can learn from your campaign both during its lifetime and after completion so make sure you keep an eye on the analytics. Check ad views, ad clicks, engagements rates, cost per click, spend and any other analytics relevant to your campaign.
- Optimise. Make sure you react to the campaign results as well as observing them. If your campaign is not performing as well as you thought try adapting the way you’ve selected your audience or widening/narrowing your audience depending on what you can read from your analytics.
We hope you found our advertising checklist for social media marketing useful. Make sure you read our previous blog posts on optimising Google Ads.